Module part-1- Biophysics
Please Enter Your Details!
1) What percentage of patients undergoing radiotherapy develop fatigue as an acute side effect?
2) Piezoelectric crystal resonance is used in what imaging modality?
3) With regard to MRI scanning what is the SI unit measure of magnetic flux?
4) Which of the following is an acute complication of radiotherapy?
5) With regard to MRI scanning what is the SI unit measure of magnetic field strength?
6) What frequency is used for trans‐vaginal ultrasound?
7) The yolk sac reaches its maximum diameter at what week of gestation?
You are discussing radiation doses for an abdominal CT. The radiation dose of an abdominal CT
is equivalent to which of the following?
9) Regarding the ECG, what does the T wave represent?
A 34 year old patient is being investigated in the infertility clinic and is offered
Hysterosalpingography (HSG). She has 28 day cycles. When should the HSG test be performed?
11) With regard to XRAYs what is the SI unit of absorbed dose?
12) Which of the following might you expect to see on the ECG of a patient with hypocalcaemia?
13) Regarding the ECG, what does the QRS complex represent?
You are discussing the radiation risk of a chest XRAY with a pregnant patient. A chest XRAY is
equivalent to how many days of natural background radiation?
15) Oligohydramnios is defined as an amniotic fluid index of?
16) Which of the following is a form of non‐ionising radiation?
You perform bloods on a patient with a history of anorexia. Biochemistry phone with her U&E
Sodium 135 mmol/l
Potassium 2.6 mmol/l
Urea 5.0 mmol/l
Creatinine 35 umol/l
Which of the following would you expect to see on a patient ECG?
18) Regarding the ECG, what does the P wave represent?
You are asked to review a 27 year old women who has been admitted with toxic shock
syndrome due to retained tampon. The lab phone you with her U&E results:
Sodium 133 mmol/l
Potassium 6.6 mmol/l
Urea 16.3 mmol/l
Creatinine 140 umol/l
You request an ECG. Which of the following would you expect to find?
What is the normal maximum endometrial thickness on ultrasound assessment of a post
21) What frequency is used for trans‐abdominal ultrasound?
A 28 year old women undergoes transvaginal ultrasound scan (TVS) at the EPU. What size is the
gestational sac typically when the yolk sac becomes visible on TVS?
You have taken a history from a patient with symptoms of urinary incontinence. There is no
history of cancer, no suggestion of neurological disease and no pelvic masses. According to NICE
guidelines which of the tests below is indicated in the initial assessment of patients with urinary
24) What is the typical magnetic field strength of an MRI scanner used routinely in UK hospitals?
A 28 year old women presents for an early scan at the EPU. On TVS what size is the gestational
sac when the embryonic pole should become visible?
In early pregnancy at what gestation does the Gestational sac become visible on transvaginal
You assess a 63 year old lady on the ward who has undergone hysterectomy. She complains of
palpitations and feeling a little short of breath.You organise bloods and an ECG. The ECG shows
atrial fibrillation. Which of the following might you expect to see on assessing the JVP?
28) Which of the following statements, if any, regarding diathermy (electrosurgery) is true?
A patient undergoes LASER treatment for CIN. Which of the following is the most appropriate
choice of LASER?
You assess a 68 year old lady who has been admitted with heavy PV bleeding. She has known
heart failure. In A&E she had 1 litre of IV Saline 0.9% over 1 hour and her second litre bag of IV
saline is almost empty. You assess her JVP. Which of the following would you expect to see in
someone with heart failure and fluid overload?
31) DEXA scans measure bone density by
In early pregnancy at what gestation does the Embryonic pole become visible on transvaginal
33) Which of the following might you expect to see on the ECG of a patient with hypercalcaemia?
34) Which of the following is likely to reduce the effectiveness of local radiotherapy?
Regarding PCOS (PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome) which of the following ultrasound findings form
part of the Rotterdam criteria for diagnosis of PCOS
36) What frequency would typically be used for monopolar diathermy?
37) Which of the following best describes magnetic resonance imaging?
38) At what gestation does the fetal heart first become detectable on ultrasound?
39) Which of the following best describes the muscles assessed by urodynamic testing?
40) Which of the following utilises ionising radiation?
41) Ultrasound frequencies are sound waves with frequencies of
Your score is